Job prospects General Farm Worker - Livestock in the Côte-Nord Region
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "general farm worker - livestock" was moved from the group General farm workers (NOC 8431) to the group Livestock labourers (NOC 85100).
Explore current and future job prospects for people working as "General farm workers" in the Côte-Nord Region or Canada.
Current and future job prospects
Note that these outlooks are based on the 2016 version of the NOC. Learn more about our methodology.
Recent trends from the past 3 years
We were not able to determine labour market conditions in this region over the past few years because of low employment levels in this occupational group.
Job outlook over the next 3 years
The employment outlook will be very limited for General farm workers (NOC 8431) in the Côte-Nord and Nord-du-Québec regions for the 2022-2024 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to a moderate number of new positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are several unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- Over the past decade, farm size has increased and the concentration of activity has continued within large farms. As a result, productivity gains from investments in equipment and increased use of farm machinery have reduced labour requirements in these businesses.
- Despite this, the majority of tasks remain difficult to automate and the industry must rely on these workers to perform work on crop and livestock farms. Recruitment is difficult and the industry must rely on temporary foreign workers to fill available jobs.
- The population's growing interest of in eating healthy, buying local and short food supply chains promotes the establishment of small, local vegetable production and livestock operations. These new trends create additional employment opportunities for this occupation, even though these niches represent a small proportion of agriculture.
Here are some key facts about General farm workers in the Côte-Nord and Nord-du-Québec regions:
- Approximately 50 people worked in this occupation in May 2016.
- General farm workers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Agriculture (NAICS 111, 112, 1151, 1152): 34%
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (NAICS 21): 25%
- Management and Administrative Services (NAICS 55-56): 21%
- Transportation and warehousing (NAICS 48-49): 20%
Labour market conditions over the next 10 years
- Date modified: