Job requirements Transport Driver in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as a transport driver in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Transport truck drivers (NOC 73300).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Completion of secondary school is usually required.
  • On-the-job-training is provided.
  • Completion of an accredited driver training course of up to three months duration, through a vocational school or community college, may be required.
  • A Class 3 or D licence is required to drive straight-body trucks.
  • A Class 1 or A licence is required to drive long combination vehicles.
  • Air brake endorsement (Z) is required for drivers who operate vehicles equipped with air brakes.
  • Transportation of dangerous goods (TDG) certification is required for drivers who transport hazardous products or dangerous goods.
  • Additional licensing endorsement or certification may be required to drive articulated trucks.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.


Job title Oil & Gas Transportation Services ( Bed Truck Operators, Bulk Haul Truck Operators, Multi Wheel Truck Operators, Supervisors And Winch Tractor Operators)

British Columbia

Job title Driver (oil And Gas Industry)
Regulatory body: Worksafe BC


Job title Tractor-trailer Commercial Driver
Regulatory body: Ontario College of Trades
Job title Propane Truck Operator


Job title Truck Driver
Job title Line Truck Driver
Regulatory body: Emploi Québec


Job title Truck Driver

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: