Job requirements Assistant Financial Analyst in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as an assistant financial analyst in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Financial and investment analysts (NOC 11101).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • A bachelor's degree in commerce, business administration, accounting, finance or economics and on-the-job training and industry courses and programs are usually required.
  • A master's degree in business administration (MBA) (concentration in finance) or in finance may be required.
  • The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation, available through a program conducted by the CFA Institute or an other recognized financial designations (CFP, CIM or others), is usually required.
  • Other designations, such as Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) and Certified Treasury Professional (CTP), may be required by some employers.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
Manitoba Portfolio Manager Regulated Manitoba Securities Commission
Futures Contracts Portfolio Manager (commodities) Regulated Manitoba Securities Commission
Saskatchewan Portfolio Manager Regulated Saskatchewan Financial Services Commission

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: