Job requirements Medical Transcriptionist in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as a medical transcriptionist in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Court reporters, medical transcriptionists and related occupations (NOC 1251).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Court reporters require completion of secondary school and usually require completion of a college or other program in court reporting. They may also require the Chartered Shorthand Reporter (CSR) certificate.
  • Medical transcriptionists require completion of secondary school and usually require completion of a recognized medical transcription program. They may also require the Certified Medical Transcriptionist (CMT) certificate.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
Alberta Court/shorthand Reporters (certified) Regulated Alberta Shorthand Reporters Association
Prince Edward Island Court Transcribers Regulated Department of Environment, Labour and Justice
Québec Legal Stenographer Regulated Comité sur la sténographie du Barreau du Québec

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: