Job requirements Secondary School Teacher in Canada
Find out what you typically need to work as a secondary school teacher in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Secondary school teachers (NOC 41220).
This is what you typically need for the job.
- Teachers of academic subjects require a bachelor's degree in education which is often preceded by a bachelor's degree in the arts or sciences.
- Teachers of vocational or technical subjects require a bachelor's degree in education which is usually preceded by specialized training or experience in the subject.
- Instructors of trades in Quebec require completion of an apprenticeship training program and industry or trade certification.
- Department heads usually require several years of teaching experience.
- To specialize in special education or English or French as a second language, additional training is required.
- A provincial teaching certificate is required.
- Membership in a provincial or territorial teachers' association or federation may be required.
Professional certification and licensing
You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.
Do you want to work in another province or territory?
If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.
- Date modified: