Job requirements Licensed Dental Therapist near Toronto (ON)

Find out what you typically need to work as a licensed dental therapist near Toronto (ON). These requirements are applicable to all Dental hygienists and dental therapists (NOC 3222).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Dental hygienists are required to complete a college program ranging from one to three years, or other approved program in dental hygiene recognized by the governing board within the province or territory of residence.
  • Dental therapists are required to complete a two- to three- year college diploma or equivalent credentials from an approved dental institution. or Complete the dental therapy diploma program offered by the First Nations University of Canada in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
  • Licensing by the appropriate provincial or territorial regulatory body is required for dental hygienists.
  • Licensure is required for dental therapists in Newfoundland and Labrador, Saskatchewan, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a professional licence from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.

  • If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
  • If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.
Find out if your occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Date modified: