Job requirements Licensed Dental Therapist in Alberta

Find out what you typically need to work as a licensed dental therapist in Alberta. These requirements are applicable to all Dental hygienists and dental therapists (NOC 32111).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Completion of a two- to three-year college dental hygiene program, approved by the governing board within the province or territory of residence, is usually required for dental hygienists.
  • Dental therapists are required to complete a two- to three- year college diploma from an approved dental institution program.
  • Licensing by the appropriate provincial or territorial regulatory body is required for dental hygienists.
  • Licensure is required for dental therapists in Saskatchewan, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing


If this occupation is regulated, you may need to get a professional license from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.

  • If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
  • If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.

Find out if this occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Find out where this occupation is regulated in Canada

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: