Job requirements Personal Trust Officer in Canada

National Occupational Classification update

We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "personal trust officer" was moved from the group Other financial officers (NOC 1114) to the group Other financial officers (NOC 11109).

Find out what you typically need to work as a personal trust officer in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Other financial officers (NOC 11109).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • A bachelor's degree in business administration, commerce, economics or a related field is usually required.
  • Various training programs and courses are offered by financial institutes and organizations, such as the Canadian Securities Institute, Institute of Canadian Bankers, CFA Institute, Investment Funds Institute and Trust Companies Institute of Canada, and may be required by employers.
  • A recognized financial designation may be required (CFA, CIM or others).
  • Financial examiners and inspectors may require a recognized accounting designation.
  • Mortgage brokers require a mortgage broker licence in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador and Nova Scotia.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
Alberta Mortgage Associate; Mortgage Broker Regulated Real Estate Council of Alberta
Manitoba Underwriter Regulated Manitoba Securities Commission, Real Estate Division
Mortgage Broker Regulated Manitoba Securities Commission - Real Estate Division
New Brunswick Mortgage Associate Regulated Commission des services financiers et des services aux consommateurs
Mortgage Broker Regulated Financial and Consumer Services Commission
Nova Scotia Mortgage Broker Regulated Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations, Public Enquiries - Service Nova Scotia
Ontario Mortgage Agent Regulated Financial Services Commission of Ontario
Mortgage Broker Regulated Financial Services Commission of Ontario
Saskatchewan Mortgage Broker Regulated Saskatchewan Financial Services Commission

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: