Job requirements Switch Network Installer And Repairer - Telecommunications in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as a switch network installer and repairer - telecommunications in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Telecommunications installation and repair workers (NOC 7246).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Completion of secondary school is required.
  • Telephone and switch network installers and repairers require completion of an apprenticeship program ranging from three to four years or A combination of over three years work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry related courses.
  • Telecommunications equipment technicians usually require completion of a college electrical and electronics program and several months of on-the-job training or Completion of a three- or four-year apprenticeship training program.
  • Trade certification for communication technicians is available, but voluntary, in Nova Scotia, Alberta, British Columbia, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
  • Experience as an installer and repairer (telephone and switch network) is usually required for service testers.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
Alberta Communication Technician Regulated Apprenticeship and Industry Training Office, Government of Alberta
British Columbia Communication Technician Regulated British Columbia Safety Authority
Electronics Communication Technician Regulated British Columbia Safety Authority
Manitoba Telecommunications Installation And Repair Workers Regulated Manitoba Office of the Fire Commissioner
Voice Data Video Installer/repairer Regulated Manitoba Office of the Fire Commissioner
Nova Scotia Communication Technician Regulated Technical Safety Division, Labour and Advanced Education

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: