Job requirements Switch Network Installer And Repairer - Telecommunications in the Edmonton Region
Find out what you typically need to work as a switch network installer and repairer - telecommunications in the Edmonton Region. These requirements are applicable to all Telecommunications installation and repair workers (NOC 7246).
This is what you typically need for the job.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Telephone and switch network installers and repairers require completion of an apprenticeship program ranging from three to four years or A combination of over three years work experience in the trade and some high school, college or industry related courses.
- Telecommunications equipment technicians usually require completion of a college electrical and electronics program and several months of on-the-job training or Completion of a three- or four-year apprenticeship training program.
- Trade certification for communication technicians is available, but voluntary, in Nova Scotia, Alberta, British Columbia, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Experience as an installer and repairer (telephone and switch network) is usually required for service testers.
Professional certification and licensing
You might need to get a professional licence from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.
- If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
- If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.
Find out if your occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.
Do you want to work in another province or territory?
If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.
- Date modified: