Job requirements Medical Doctor in the Hamilton–Niagara Peninsula Region
Find out what you typically need to work as a medical doctor in the Hamilton–Niagara Peninsula Region. These requirements are applicable to all General practitioners and family physicians (NOC 3112).
This is what you typically need for the job.
- A bachelor's degree or In Quebec, completion of a college program and one year of pre-medicine university studies is usually required.
- Graduation from an approved medical school and Two to three years of family medicine residency training are required.
- Completion of the qualifying examinations of the Medical Council of Canada and Licensing by the provincial or territorial licensing authority are required.
Professional certification and licensing
You might need to get a professional licence from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.
- If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
- If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.
Find out if your occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.
Do you want to work in another province or territory?
If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.
- Date modified: