Job requirements Academic Counsellor near Toronto (ON)
Find out what you typically need to work as an academic counsellor near Toronto (ON). These requirements are applicable to all Educational counsellors (NOC 41320).
This is what you typically need for the job.
- A bachelor's degree in counselling, career development, education or social sciences is required for counsellors in school settings.
- A master's degree in counselling psychology or a related field such as educational psychology, developmental psychology or social work is usually required.
- Educational counsellors in post-secondary settings require an undergraduate degree and may require a graduate degree. A particular academic specialization may also be required.
- In Quebec, membership in L'Ordre des conseillers et conseillères d'orientation is mandatory to use the titles ''vocational counsellor'', “guidance counsellor” and “vocational guidance counsellor”.
- A teacher's certificate in the province of employment and some teaching experience is usually required for counsellors in school settings.
Professional certification and licensingOntario
You might need to get a professional licence from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.
- If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
- If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.
Find out if your occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.
Do you want to work in another province or territory?
If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.
- Date modified: