Job requirements Massage Therapist (MT) in Canada

National Occupational Classification update

We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "massage therapist (MT)" was moved from the group Massage therapists (NOC 3236) to the group Massage therapists (NOC 32201).

Find out what you typically need to work as a massage therapist (MT) in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Massage therapists (NOC 32201).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Massage therapists usually require completion of an 18- to 24-month or 18- to 36-month program in massage therapy from an accredited school and a period of supervised practical training.
  • Registration with a regulatory body is required in Newfoundland and Labrador, Ontario and British Columbia.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
British Columbia Massage Therapist Regulated College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia
New Brunswick Massage Therapist Regulated College of Massage Therapy New Brunswick
Newfoundland and Labrador Massage Therapist Regulated College of Massage Therapists of Newfoundland & Labrador
Ontario Massage Therapist Regulated College of Massage Therapists of Ontario

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: