Job requirements Instrument Overhaul Technician - Avionics near Vanier (ON)

Find out what you typically need to work as an instrument overhaul technician - avionics near Vanier (ON). These requirements are applicable to all Aircraft instrument, electrical and avionics mechanics, technicians and inspectors (NOC 22313).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Aircraft instrument and avionics mechanics and technicians require completion of a two- to three-year college program in avionics or electronics.
  • Aircraft electrical mechanics and technicians require completion of a college program as an electrical or electronic technician.
  • Four years of on-the-job or company apprenticeship training is required for all mechanics and technicians in this unit group.
  • Avionics inspectors require completion of a two- to three-year college program in avionics or electronics and three to five years of experience as an avionics mechanic or technician.
  • Avionics inspectors, mechanics and technicians who sign maintenance releases and certify airworthiness require an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer's (AME) licence (category E - avionics) issued by Transport Canada.
  • Industry certification is available from the Canadian Council for Aviation & Aerospace (CCAA) for some occupations in this unit group.
  • In Quebec, membership in the regulatory body for professional technologists is required to use the title Professional Technologist.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing


If this occupation is regulated, you may need to get a professional license from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.

  • If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
  • If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.

Find out if this occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: