Job requirements Dentist in the Camrose–Drumheller Region

Find out what you typically need to work as a dentist in the Camrose–Drumheller Region. These requirements are applicable to all Dentists (NOC 31110).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Dentists
  • Two to four years of pre-dentistry university studies or, in Quebec, completion of a college program in sciences and a university degree from a recognized dental program are required.
  • Licensing by a provincial or territorial regulatory body is required.
  • Dentists in general practice can move into a specialized practice through advanced training.
  • Oral and maxillofacial surgeons
  • Four to seven years of specialty residency training in oral and maxillofacial surgery are required.
  • Orthodontists
  • Three years advanced orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics program accredited by the Canadian Dental Association is required.
  • Prosthodontists
  • Three years advanced prosthodontics program accredited by the Canadian Dental Association is required.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing


If this occupation is regulated, you may need to get a professional license from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.

  • If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
  • If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.

Find out if this occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.

Job title Dentists
Regulatory body: College of Dental Surgeons of Alberta (CDSA)

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Find out where this occupation is regulated in Canada

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: