Job requirements Dental Assistant in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as a dental assistant in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Dental assistants (NOC 33100).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Dental assistants require completion of an eight-month to one-year college or other program in dental assistance or completion of secondary school with on-the-job training.
  • Registration with a regulatory body is required in all provinces except Quebec and Ontario.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
Alberta Dental Assistants Regulated College of Alberta Dental Assistants (CADA)
British Columbia Dental Assistant Regulated College of Dental Surgeons of British Columbia
Manitoba Dental Assistant Regulated Manitoba Dental Association
New Brunswick Dental Assistant Regulated New Brunswick Dental Assistants Association (NBDAA)
Newfoundland and Labrador Dental Assistant Regulated Newfoundland and Labrador Dental Board
Nova Scotia Dental Assistant Regulated Provincial Dental Board of Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island Dental Assistant Regulated Dental Association of Prince Edward Island
Saskatchewan Dental Assistant Regulated Saskatchewan Dental Assistants' Association

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: