Job requirements Early Childhood Educator (ECE) Assistant in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as an early childhood educator (ECE) assistant in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Early childhood educators and assistants (NOC 42202).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Early childhood educator assistants
  • Completion of a two- to four-year college program in early childhood education or a bachelor's degree in child development is required.
  • Licensing is required in Ontario and certification is required in British Columbia for early childhood educators. Licensing for early childhood educators is usually required in all other provinces and territories.
  • Completion of an early childhood education assistant certificate program or post-secondary courses in early childhood education may be required.
  • Licensing by a provincial or territorial association as an early childhood educator may be required.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated in your province or territory.

Table listing provincial regulation requirements
Location Job title Regulation Regulatory body
Alberta Early Childhood Educator; Child Care Staff Member Regulated Alberta Children Services
British Columbia Early Childhood Educator Regulated Ministry of Children and Family Development of British Columbia, Early Childhood Educator Register
Manitoba Child Care Assistant Regulated Manitoba Early Learning and Child Care Program
Early Childhood Educator Regulated Manitoba Early Learning and Child Care Program, Manitoba Families
Newfoundland and Labrador Early Childhood Educator Regulated Association of Early Childhood Educators Newfoundland and Labrador
Nova Scotia Early Childhood Educator Regulated Registrar, Early Years Branch, Education and Early Childhood Development
Ontario Aboriginal Child Development Practitioner Regulated Ontario College of Trades
Child Development Practitioner Regulated Ontario College of Trades
Early Childhood Educator Regulated College of Early Childhood Educators
Prince Edward Island Early Childhood Educator Regulated Department of Education, Early Learning and Culture, Government of Prince Edward Island
Saskatchewan Early Childhood Educator Regulated Ministry of Education, Government of Saskatchewan

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: