Job requirements Refrigeration And Air Conditioning Mechanic near Toronto (ON)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "refrigeration and air conditioning mechanic" was moved from the group Heating, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics (NOC 7313) to the group Heating, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics (NOC 72402).
Find out what you typically need to work as a refrigeration and air conditioning mechanic near Toronto (ON). These requirements are applicable to all Heating, refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics (NOC 72402).
This is what you typically need for the job.
- Completion of secondary school and training courses or a vocational program is usually required.
- Completion of a three- to five-year apprenticeship program or a combination of over five years of work experience and industry courses in refrigeration and air conditioning repair is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
Source National Occupational Classification
Professional certification and licensing
You might need to get a professional licence from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.
- If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
- If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.
Find out if your occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.
|Location||Job title||Regulation||Regulatory body|
|Ontario||Certified Ozone Depletion Prevention Technician||Regulated (compulsory)||Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change, Government of Ontario|
|Refrigeration And Air Conditioning System Mechanic||Regulated (compulsory)||Ontario College of Trades|
Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC
Do you want to work in another province or territory?
If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.
- Date modified: