Skills Elementary School Teacher's Aide in Ontario
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "elementary school teacher's aide" was moved from the group Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants (NOC 4413) to the group Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants (NOC 43100).
Find out what skills you typically need to work as an elementary school teacher's aide in Canada. These skills are applicable to all Elementary and secondary school teacher assistants (NOC 43100).
- Help students individually or in small groups with assignments and reinforce learning and retention concepts under the supervision of classroom teacher
- Monitor students during recess and lunch hour
- Assist students with integration into the classroom and school setting
- Assist with classroom inventory
- Accompany and supervise students during activities in school gymnasiums, laboratories, libraries, resource centres and on field trips
- Monitor and report student progress to classroom teacher
- Assist in school library or office and perform other duties assigned by school principal
- Assist teacher in the operation of projectors, tape recorders and other audio-visual or electronic equipment
- Assist students with special needs using techniques such as sign language, braille and remedial programs
Skills and Knowledge Checklist
The following skills and knowledge are usually required in this occupation.
- Date modified: