Summary Computer Network Technician near Calgary (AB)
Find key facts and figures about working as a computer network technician. The following information is applicable to all Computer network and web technicians (NOC 22220).
Note: Some information in this job profile is based on the 2016 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC).
Computer network technicians establish, operate, maintain and coordinate the use of local and wide area networks (LANs and WANs), mainframe networks, hardware, software and related computer equipment. Web technicians set up and maintain internet, extranet and intranet Web sites and Web-server hardware and software, and monitor and optimize network connectivity and performance. They are employed in information technology units throughout the private and public sectors. Computer network and Web technicians who are supervisors are included in this group.
College or apprenticeship
This occupation usually requires a college diploma (community college, institute of technology or CÉGEP), an apprenticeship training of 2 or more years, or experience working in a supervisory occupation.
Median wage in the Calgary Region
advertised near Calgary (AB)
- Maintain, troubleshoot and administer the use of local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), mainframe networks and computer workstations and peripheral equipment
- Evaluate and install computer hardware, networking software and operating system software
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of computer systems and networks and to co-ordinate access and use of computer networks
- Load computer tapes and disks and install software and printer paper and forms
- Provide problem-solving services to network users
- Date modified: