Summary Mechanical Engineer in Ontario
Find key facts and figures about working as a mechanical engineer. The following information is applicable to all Mechanical engineers (NOC 2132).
Mechanical engineers research, design and develop machinery and systems for heating, ventilating and air conditioning, power generation, transportation, processing and manufacturing. They also perform duties related to the evaluation, installation, operation and maintenance of mechanical systems. They are employed by consulting firms, by power-generating utilities and in a wide range of manufacturing, processing and transportation industries, or they may be self-employed.
University education usually required
Median wage in Ontario
The job prospects are fair in Ontario
advertised in Ontario
- Supervise technicians, technologists and other engineers and review and approve designs, calculations and cost estimates
- Plan and manage projects, and prepare material, cost and timing estimates, reports and design specifications for machinery and systems
- Prepare contract documents and evaluate tenders for industrial construction or maintenance
- Investigate mechanical failures or unexpected maintenance problems
- Develop maintenance standards, schedules and programs
- Date modified: