Summary Medical Laboratory Technician near Winnipeg (MB)
Find key facts and figures about working as a medical laboratory technician. The following information is applicable to all Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists' assistants (NOC 3212).
Medical laboratory technicians conduct routine medical laboratory tests and set up, clean and maintain medical laboratory equipment. They are employed in medical laboratories in hospitals, clinics, research facilities, post-secondary educational institutions and government research laboratories. Pathologists' assistants assist at autopsies and examinations of surgical specimens or perform autopsies under a pathologist's supervision. They are usually employed in hospitals and universities.
College or apprenticeship
College education or apprenticeship training usually required
Median wage in the Winnipeg Region
The job outlook is fair in the Winnipeg Region
advertised in Manitoba
- Prepare for autopsies by obtaining patients' medical records
- Prepare bodies for release to funeral homes
- Supervise and train junior resident pathologists and morgue attendants
- Discard specimens according to established safety procedures
- Dissect, examine, weigh and photograph organs and specimens
- Date modified: