Summary Licensed Practical Nurse (L.P.N.) in Canada
Find key facts and figures about working as a licensed practical nurse (L.P.N.). The following information is applicable to all Licensed practical nurses (NOC 3233).
Licensed practical nurses provide nursing care usually under the direction of medical practitioners, registered nurses or other health team members. Operating room technicians prepare patients and provide assistance to medical practitioners prior to and during surgery. Licensed practical nurses are employed in hospitals, nursing homes, extended care facilities, rehabilitation centres, doctors' offices, clinics, companies, private homes and community health centres. Operating room technicians are employed in hospitals.
College or apprenticeship
College education or apprenticeship training usually required
Median wage in Canada
The job prospects vary across Canada depending on the province or territory.
advertised in Canada
- Clean and sterilize the operating room and instruments
- Assist in surgery by laying out instruments, setting up equipment, assisting surgical teams with gowns and gloves and passing instruments to surgeons
- Prepare patients for surgery by washing, shaving and sterilizing operative areas
- Monitor patients' progress, evaluate effectiveness of nursing interventions and consult with appropriate members of healthcare team
- Provide nursing services, within defined scope of practice, to patients based on patient assessment and care planning procedures
- Date modified: