Summary Software Design Engineer near Toronto (ON)
National Occupational Classification update
We have updated this page to reflect the transition to the 2021 version of the National Occupational Classification (NOC). This means that the occupation "software design engineer" was moved from the group Software engineers and designers (NOC 2173) to the group Software engineers and designers (NOC 21231).
Find key facts and figures about working as a software design engineer. The following information is applicable to all Software engineers and designers (NOC 21231).
Note that some information in this job profile is based on the 2016 version of the NOC.
Software engineers and designers research, design, evaluate, integrate and maintain software applications, technical environments, operating systems, embedded software, information warehouses and telecommunications software. They are employed in information technology consulting firms, information technology research and development firms, and information technology units throughout the private and public sectors, or they may be self-employed.
This occupation usually requires a university degree (bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate).
Median wage in the Toronto Region
advertised near Toronto (ON)
- Collect and document user's requirements and develop logical and physical specifications
- Research, evaluate and synthesize technical information to design, develop and test computer-based systems
- Develop data, process and network models to optimize architecture and to evaluate the performance and reliability of designs
- Plan, design and co-ordinate the development, installation, integration and operation of computer-based systems
- Assess, troubleshoot, document, upgrade and develop maintenance procedures for operating systems, communications environments and applications software
- Date modified: