Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Included Cities in Region | Service Canada Offices
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Yukon Territory||(2 of 3 stars)||2016-12-23|
For the 2016-2018 period, the employment outlook is expected to be fair for Purchasing agents and officers (NOC 1225) in Yukon.
This outlook is the result of an analysis of a number of factors that influence employment prospects in this occupation. Some of the key findings are that:
- Employment is expected to decline.
- A large number of people are expected to retire.
- This occupation has recently experienced moderate levels of unemployment.
Here are some key facts about Purchasing agents and officers in Yukon:
- Approximately 50 people worked in this occupation in May 2011.
- Purchasing agents and officers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Public Administration and Defence (NAICS 91): 75%
- They fall into the following age groups:
- 15 to 24: 8% compared to 13% for all occupations
- 25 to 54: 69% compared to 66% for all occupations
- 55 years and over: 23% compared to 21% for all occupations
- The gender distribution of people in this occupation is:
- Men: 69% compared to 50% for all occupations
- Women: 31% compared to 50% for all occupations
- The educational attainment of workers in this occupation is:
- No high school diploma: n/a
- High school diploma or equivalent: n/a
- Apprenticeship or trades certificate or diploma: n/a
- College certificate or diploma or university certificate below bachelor's: 38% compared to 26% for all occupations
- Bachelor's degree: n/a
- University certificate, degree or diploma above bachelor level: n/a
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jun 26 - Jun 30, 2017
- Remediation at the abandoned Faro mine site is expected to start in 2022, costing over $500M, and will take 10 to 15 years to complete. The site currently has 40 to 50 workers, and the project managers expect to add 50 to 75 people for the upcoming work.
- Rockhaven Resources Ltd. has started its 2017 exploration program at the Klaza gold property in southern Yukon. The program will include diamond drilling, geophysical surveys, soil geochemical sampling and metallurgical test work.
- Comstock Metals Ltd. plans to run a multi-pronged 2017 exploration program that will include mapping, sampling and diamond drilling at its QV Gold Project near Dawson City
- Arcus Development Group Inc. expects to start the 2017 exploration program at its Dan Man property in late July. The program includes drilling, soil sampling, geological mapping and prospecting.
- The Government of Yukon is providing support from the Community Development Fund for 13 projects that will create employment and promote social, cultural and economic benefits
- The Government of Yukon is expecting to pay $1.8M to cover the cost of full abandonment of a gas well at the Kotaneelee gas processing plant. The original owner of the site left a security deposit which covers part of the $2.4M total cost.
- Strikepoint Gold Inc. has started exploration work on the Mahtin Project near Mayo. Sample drilling is expected to follow the initial survey work.
- Goldstrike Resources Ltd. and Newmont Mining have established two fly-in camps to host their technical teams and drilling crews as they start exploration on the Plateau Property
- K2 Gold Corporation has started a diamond drill program at its Wels Gold Property. The company also has plans for exploration programs at three additional properties in the Yukon.
- StrikePoint Gold Inc. has engaged Groundtruth Exploration and their Drones to Drill program, to execute its 2017 Yukon exploration program. Groundtruth is a Yukon-based company that specialize in exploration activities within the Territory.
- Metallic Minerals Corp. has started a $1.5M exploration program at its Keno Silver Project. The first phase of work will consist of targeted geophysical and geochemical surveys followed by a drilling program.
- ATAC Resources Ltd. has started diamond drilling at its Osiris Gold Project. Geophysical surveys and possible additional drilling are also planned for the 2017 exploration program.
- White Gold Corp. has started a drilling program on its properties south of Dawson City. The program is being managed by Ground Truth Exploration who will provide daily geologic, geochemical and structural interpretation to guide the drill programs.
- Date modified: