Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Included Cities in Region | Service Canada Offices
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Lower Mainland - Southwest Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2016-12-23|
For the 2016-2018 period, the employment outlook is expected to be good for Specialist physicians (NOC 3111) in the Lower Mainland - Southwest region.
This outlook is the result of an analysis of a number of factors that influence employment prospects in this occupation. Some of the key findings are that:
- Employment growth is expected to be strong.
- A moderate number of people are expected to retire.
- This occupation has recently experienced low levels of unemployment.
Occupations in the healthcare system have been growing in response to an aging population.
Here are some key facts about Specialist physicians in the Lower Mainland - Southwest region:
- Approximately 3,440 people work in this occupation.
- Specialist physicians mainly work in the following sectors:
- Ambulatory health care services and hospitals (NAICS 621-622): 93%
- They fall into the following age groups:
- 15 to 24: less than 5% compared to 12% for all occupations
- 25 to 54: 72% compared to 69% for all occupations
- 55 years and over: 28% compared to 19% for all occupations
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Oct 30 - Nov 03, 2017
- The Jackson Lam Adult Day Centre recently opened at the Austin Harris Residence in Richmond. The centre provides day programs for seniors who have physical and cognitive challenges.
- The Teck Acute Care Centre and the BC Women's Urgent Care Centre recently opened on the campus of BC Children's Hospital and BC Women's Hospital in Vancouver
- BC Children's Hospital has opened a family immunization clinic. The facility will help in the immunization of children with complex medical conditions, and be a hub for research and support to physicians across the province.
- Foundry North Shore recently opened in Vancouver. The 9,000-sq.-ft. facility houses 15 existing social programs and services offered to youth.
- The Residential Tenancy Branch will hire 30 new staff with funding announced in the recent Budget 2017 Update. The new hires will include positions in dispute resolution services, information services and innovation.
- Date modified: