Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Included Cities in Region | Service Canada Offices
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Ottawa Region||(2 of 3 stars)||2017-04-07|
For the 2016-2018 period, the employment outlook is expected to be fair for Editors (NOC 5122) in the Ottawa region.
This outlook is the result of an analysis of a number of factors that influence employment prospects in this occupation. Some of the key findings are that:
- Employment growth is expected to be strong.
- A large number of people are expected to retire.
- This occupation has recently experienced low levels of unemployment.
Federal government departments, which have a strong presence in this region, also account for a significantly higher share of employment of these workers than in all other areas of Ontario. Individuals with a proficiency in English and French will likely have improved job prospects in this area.
Here are some key facts about Editors in the Ottawa region:
- Approximately 800 people work in this occupation.
- They fall into the following age groups:
- 15 to 24: 8% compared to 14% for all occupations
- 25 to 54: 61% compared to 68% for all occupations
- 55 years and over: 31% compared to 18% for all occupations
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of May 01 - May 05, 2017
- Torstar Corporation has eliminated 110 positions, 25 of which were layoffs due to closure of its Metroland Media Group printing plant in Durham
- Mitel Networks Corporation, a telecommunications company, will eliminate approximately ten percent of its global workforce through restructuring by the end of 2017. Actual impact on the approximate 600 Ottawa-based jobs is unknown at this time.
- Internet service provider Xplornet Communications Inc. plans to invest $40M to build a new office in Cornwall. It is expected to create 130 full-time jobs over the next five years.
- PiiComm Inc., a provider of mobility solutions, opened its third office in the greater Ottawa region, allowing the company to expand capacity by over 40%
- Assent Compliance Inc. a compliance and data software provider headquartered in Ottawa, received a $20M private investment to invest in its business platforms and hire 100 new positions
- Date modified: