Explore Careers - Job Market Report
Description | Titles | Duties | Related Occupations
Included Cities in Region | Service Canada Offices
The future forecast and current conditions for an occupation can vary based on location or due to changes in the economy, technology, or demand for a product or service.
Local Employment Potential Information
|Location||Employment Potential||Release Date|
|Toronto Region||(3 of 3 stars)||2017-04-07|
For the 2016-2018 period, the employment outlook is expected to be good for Civil engineers (NOC 2131) in the Toronto region.
This outlook is the result of an analysis of a number of factors that influence employment prospects in this occupation. Some of the key findings are that:
- Employment growth is expected to be strong.
- A large number of people are expected to retire.
- This occupation has recently experienced moderate levels of unemployment.
Here are some key facts about Civil engineers in the Toronto region:
- Approximately 7,420 people work in this occupation.
- They fall into the following age groups:
- 15 to 24: less than 5% compared to 11% for all occupations
- 25 to 54: 76% compared to 71% for all occupations
- 55 years and over: 21% compared to 18% for all occupations
Local Labour Market NewsWeek of Jun 19 - Jun 23, 2017
- Amazon Canada will hire an additional 200 workers for their Toronto office, including software developers, engineers and programmers
- The Vector Institute, a non-profit research facility devoted to artificial intelligence, opened in Toronto. Over $150M in public and corporate funding has been invested and will create about 25 new faculty and research scientist positions.
- General Motors of Canada Company launched a Canadian Technical Centre in Markham where it will develop new vehicle software, systems and technologies. It currently employs 180 employees and will have a capacity of 700 employees once completed.
- Miller Thomson LLP, a business law firm will be opening a new office in the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre in spring 2017
- Date modified: