Job outlook Optician in Québec
The job outlook for an optician working in Québec is good over the next 3 years. This outlook is applicable to all Opticians (NOC 3231).
Job opportunities in Québec
The employment outlook will be good for Opticians (NOC 3231) in Québec for the 2018-2020 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment growth will lead to several new positions.
- A moderate number of positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are a small number of unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
Here are some key facts about Opticians in Québec:
- Approximately 2,950 people work in this occupation.
- Opticians mainly work in the following sectors:
- Other retail stores (NAICS 44-45, except 445): 50%
- Ambulatory health care services (NAICS 621): 43%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: 85% compared to 80% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: 15% compared to 20% for all occupations
- 71% of opticians work all year, while 29% work only part of the year, compared to 58% and 42% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 35 weeks compared to 33 weeks for all occupations.
- 11% of opticians are self-employed compared to an average of 12% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Québec by economic region.
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
Labour market conditions across Canada
- Date modified: