Job prospects Ironworker in Alberta
Job opportunities for Ironworkers (NOC 7236) are fair in Alberta over the next 3 years. These job prospects are also applicable to people working as an ironworker.
Note that these employment prospects were published in December 2019 based on information available at that time. You can read our new special report to learn about the impact of COVID-19 on some occupations in your province or territory. You can also visit the Canadian Online Job Posting Dashboard to find the latest data on the demand and work requirements for this occupation.
Job opportunities in Alberta
The employment outlook will be fair for Ironworkers (NOC 7236) in Alberta for the 2019-2021 period.
The following factors contributed to this outlook:
- Employment decline will lead to the loss of a few positions.
- Not many positions will become available due to retirements.
- There are several unemployed workers with recent experience in this occupation.
- High employee turnover in this occupation could lead to additional employment opportunities.
Here are some key facts about Ironworkers in the Alberta region:
- Approximately 5,700 people work in this occupation.
- Ironworkers mainly work in the following sectors:
- Construction (NAICS 23): 62%
- Fabricated metal product manufacturing (NAICS 332): 11%
- Primary metal manufacturing (NAICS 331): 6%
- Religious, grant-making, civic, and professional and similar organizations (NAICS 813): 6%
- The distribution of full-time and part-time workers in this occupation is:
- Full-time workers: more than 95% compared to 81% for all occupations
- Part-time workers: less than 5% compared to 19% for all occupations
- 48% of ironworkers work all year, while 52% work only part of the year, compared to 59% and 41% respectively among all occupations. Those who worked only part of the year did so for an average of 33 weeks compared to 32 weeks for all occupations.
- Less than 5% of ironworkers are self-employed compared to an average of 12% for all occupations.
Breakdown by region
Explore job prospects in Alberta by economic region.
|Athabasca–Grande Prairie–Peace River Region||Fair Fair|
|Banff–Jasper–Rocky Mountain House Region||Fair Fair|
|Calgary Region||Fair Fair|
|Camrose–Drumheller Region||Fair Fair|
|Edmonton Region||Fair Fair|
|Lethbridge–Medicine Hat Region||Fair Fair|
|Red Deer Region||Fair Fair|
|Wood Buffalo–Cold Lake Region||Good Good|
You can also look at this data on a map. Go to LMI Explore
- Date modified: