Job requirements Roofer, Shingles near Edmonton (AB)
Find out what you typically need to work as a roofer, shingles near Edmonton (AB). These requirements are applicable to all Roofers and shinglers (NOC 7291).
This is what you typically need for the job.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- For roofers, completion of a two- to three-year apprenticeship program or Over three years of work experience in the trade are usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
- Roofing trade certification is compulsory in Quebec and available, but voluntary, in all other provinces and the territories.
- Trade certification for residential steep roofers is available, but voluntary, in British Columbia.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified roofers upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- Shinglers require one to two years of on-the-job training.
Professional certification and licensing
You might need to get a professional licence from a regulatory authority before you can start working. Licensing can be compulsory or voluntary, depending on the occupation.
- If the licence is compulsory, you must be certified before you can practise the occupation and use the professional designation.
- If the licence is voluntary, you don’t need to be certified to practise this occupation.
|Location||Job title||Regulation||Regulatory body|
|Alberta||Roofer||Regulated (voluntary)||Apprenticeship and Industry Training Office, Government of Alberta|
Do you want to work in another province or territory?
If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.
- Date modified: