Job requirements Registered Nurse (R.N.) in Canada

Find out what you typically need to work as a registered nurse (R.N.) in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses (NOC 31301).

Employment requirements

This is what you typically need for the job.

  • Registered nurses
  • Completion of a university, college or other approved registered nursing program is required.
  • Additional academic training or experience is required to specialize in a specific area of nursing.
  • A master's or doctoral degree in nursing is usually required for clinical nurse specialists, clinical nurses, nursing consultants and nursing researchers.
  • Registration with a regulatory body is required in all provinces and territories.
  • Registered psychiatric nurses
  • Completion of a university or college registered psychiatric nursing program is required.
  • Registration with a regulatory body is required in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia and the Yukon.

Source National Occupational Classification

Professional certification and licensing

You might need to get a certification from a regulatory authority before you start working. Find out if this occupation is regulated and contact the regulatory authority to learn about the certification process.


Job title Registered Nurses
Job title Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN)

British Columbia

Job title Nurse (Registered)
Job title Nurse, Registered Psychiatric
Job title Nurse (licensed Practical)


Job title Registered Nurse
Job title Psychiatric Nurse

New Brunswick

Job title Registered Nurse

Nova Scotia

Job title Registered Nurse


Job title Registered Nurse
Regulatory body: College of Nurses of Ontario

Prince Edward Island

Job title Registered Nurse


Job title Registered Nurse
Job title Nurse (clinical)


Job title Registered Nurse
Job title Nurse (registered Psychiatric)


Job title Registered Nurse
Job title Registered Psychiatric Nurses

Source Foreign Credential Recognition Program - ESDC

Do you want to work in another province or territory?

If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.

Labour Market Information Survey
Date modified: