Job requirements Prison Guard in Canada
Find out what you typically need to work as a prison guard in Canada. These requirements are applicable to all Correctional service officers (NOC 4422).
This is what you typically need for the job.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Post-secondary education in correctional services, police studies or criminology may be required.
- Correctional officer recruits must successfully complete the Correctional Service of Canada training course to be employed by federal institutions.
- Correctional officer recruits are usually required to complete a basic training course to be employed by provincial/territorial institutions.
- Physical agility, strength and fitness requirements must be met.
- Correctional service supervisors require experience as a correctional service officer.
- First aid certification and CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) training are usually required.
Professional certification and licensing
We don’t have any data on professional certification requirements. This occupation is not regulated in Canada based on our records.
Do you want to work in another province or territory?
If you are already certified to work in a regulated occupation in your province or territory, it will be easier for you to have your certification recognized in another province or territory. See the Workers Mobility's website to learn more.
- Date modified: