Job description Dentist in Canada
Find out what work is like for a dentist in Canada. This work description is applicable to all Dentists (NOC 3113).
Dentists diagnose, treat, prevent and control disorders of the teeth and mouth. They work in private practice or may be employed in hospitals, clinics, public health facilities or universities.
- This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Examine patients' teeth, gums and surrounding tissue to diagnose disease, injury and decay and plan appropriate treatment
- Restore, extract and replace diseased and decayed teeth
- Perform oral surgery, periodontal surgery and other treatments
- Clean teeth and instruct patients on oral hygiene
- Design bridgework, fit dentures and provide appliances to correct abnormal positioning of the teeth and jaws, or write fabrication instructions or prescriptions for use by denturists and dental technicians
- Supervise dental hygienists, dental assistants and other staff.
- Dentists may specialize in such areas as oral and maxillofacial surgery, orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, endodontics, prosthodontics, oral pathology, oral radiology or public health dentistry.
- oral and maxillofacial surgeon
- oral pathologist
- oral radiologist
- pediatric dentist
- public health dentist
- Dental assistants
- Dental hygienists and dental therapists
- Dental technologists, technicians and laboratory assistants
- Date modified: